A Casual Teaching Tool for La rge Size Computer Laboratori es and Small Size Seminar Cla sses Takashi Yamanoue Kagoshima University
Contents 1. INTRODUCTION 2. OUTLINE OF SOLAR-CATS 3. MAKING A GROUP OF NODES 4. USING FUNCTIONS 5. EXPERIENCES 6. RELATED SYSTEMS 7. CONCLUDING REMARKS
1. INTRODUCTION Teaching tools (for Computer Lab.) Teacher’s Screen -> Students’ Screens popular and effective. Need Servers require significant time and energy by the manager Not only computer Lab. ad-hoc seminar classes hard for most teachers to maintain their own serve r.
SOLAR-CATS A teaching tool for large size computer laboratories and small se minar classes To meet this need. does not need a server … P2P technology.
Functions. Remote operation Interactive operation … mutual exclusion The sending of images The recording and replaying
Using SOLAR-CATS for Introductory computer literacy classes …5 yeas, about 50 students/class Network security class…2years, 30 students Seminar classes … 3 to 8 students Actual size letters and pictures Some students requested it No support from the lab manager USB keys to students.
2. OUTLINE OF SOLAR-CATS A WYSIWIS (What You See Is What I See) Enables sharing real-time operation of Applications text editor draw a simple programming environment web browser writer’s assistant , … All equipped with SOLAR-CATS.
Consists of node systems (nodes) a group manager. Each node system Applications A main controller A command transceiver An event recorder/player
Group Manager Teacher’s node system TCP TCP Student’s Student’s node node system system TCP TCP TCP TCP Student’s Student’s Student’s Student’s node node node system node system system system
Writer’s Assistant Web Browser Programming Environment Text Editor Draw Applications Main Controller Command Event Recorder/ Transceiver Player Network
4. USING FUNCTIONS Remote Control of an Application Interactive Operation of an Applicatio n Still Image Broadcasting Recording and Replaying
4. USING FUNCTIONS Remote Control of an Applic ation
4. USING FUNCTIONS Interactive Operation of an Appl ication
4. USING FUNCTIONS Still Image Broadcasting
4. USING FUNCTIONS Recording and Replaying
6. RELATED SYSTEMS Commercial systems (like DyKnow) Server The electronic chalk board Uni-direction QuickBoard… web based WYSIWIS It uses a high performance server Uni-directional.
Multi VNC … is an extended VNC No mutual exclusion. Wb … interactive draw No mutual exclusion. ESM, RelayCast and Emma … ALM (Application Level Multicast) exchanging streaming data No sharing the same operation.
7. CONCLUDING REMARKS SOLAR-CATS A real-time and interactive instruction tool For large size computer laboratories and smal l size seminar classes P2P transmit an operation at one PC to other PCs in sh ort time without any errors A mutual exclusion algorithm realize a bidirectional sharing of the operation.
Problems The group would form incorrectly when many nodes attempt to join a group in a sho rt time The new node does not get access to the co mmon data immediately When a new node joins the group, if other nodes a re sharing common data Fixing now.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research of Jap an Society for the Promotion of Science, F undamental Research(C), 17500041